Did you know that all standard bed frames are equipped to hold practically almost all kinds of headboards? The headboard of a bed frame is designed to have horizontally oblong slots or holes. Now that you know this, it is about time to do this on your own by learning how to attach a headboard to a platform bed frame. Bed frames can usually accommodate various headboard designs and allow you to raise the headboard by a couple of inches.
In this article, I will discuss how to attach a headboard to a platform bed frame in less than an hour and some design ideas you may want to try for the headboards. In doing so, you need to have accurate measurements of the bed’s width and height in getting a good fit. You may choose headboards that are wall-mounted or freestanding to simplify this process.
Steps on How to Attach a Headboard to a Platform Bed Frame
Things You Need
- Fir lumber, 2-by-2-by-48 inch
- 3/16-inch bit
- 3-inch wood screws
- 1/4-by-3-inch lag bolts with washers
- One 1/2-inch wood screws
- 1/4-inch socket
- 5/16-inch drill bit
- Wood glue
- First, the headboard should be placed on its back. Measure the headboard legs’ length carefully, since that is the remaining leg length below the bottom of your mattress.
- Using a handsaw, cut the pieces of the 2 x 2 “ fir to the same measurement in step 1. Drill four evenly-spaced holes using the drill or driver and the 3/16 inch bit. Next, apply glue, then screw these to the legs’ insides and make sure they are flush with the front leg. Use 3” screws in doing so.
- Stand the headboard steadily against the platform bed. This is one of the most crucial steps to attach a headboard to a platform bed frame. The headboard’s feet should be tight against the side of the platform bed and flat on the floor. While holding the headboard horizontally, drill three evenly-spaced holes through the screw cleats. Do this by using a 5/16” drill bit. The holes should face the platform bed, so make sure that they are made through the cleats.
- Put the 3/16” bit to the driver or drill. You need to drill to the 5/16″ holes and into the platform bed. This will create pilot holes for the lag screws.
- The washers must be placed on the ¼ x 3” lag bolts. Then, place the bolts in all the holes. Drive them tightly using the ¼” socket and ratchet.
- Through a horizontal stretcher rail between the legs of the headboard, drill four holes. This step is only applicable if it has a rail. The rail should be tightened against the back of the bed. To drill holes through the center of the rail, use a 3/16-inch bit. Place the 1 ½ screws inside the holes and drive these tightly to secure the horizontal rail at the back of the bed.
- If there is still enough space for the clamp, put that on both of the legs. This is to tighten and secure the platform bed to your headboard before screwing and drilling it.
In doing these steps, make sure to wear safety glasses at all times. Also, do not overtighten the lag screws. If they resist the ratchet and bite in, that means it is tight enough. Do not compromise your safety in learning how to attach a headboard to a platform bed frame.
Headboard Design Ideas
You can add all sorts of headboard designs to a platform bed, and these may be made from metal or wood. Moreover, you can perform simple modifications to your headboard to fit your preference. Here are some headboard design ideas you might want to consider in your next project:
A floating headboard with a posh built-in nightstand is perfect for the simple and clean lines of a platform bed. This kind of headboard should be mounted with sturdy wood or metal cleats at any height. Also, the built-in nightstands should be equal or inches higher than your mattress.
If you are going for a more neat and minimalistic design, go for an upholstered headboard. Upholstered keyboards have various styles, such as wingback headboards around the head of your bed frame, with a backrest for reading. These freestanding upholstered beds may be secured to the bed or the wall. This design looks perfect with fabric and leather-covered frame.
Headboards with storage
This headboard has a dual function and would make a functional accessory to your platform bed. This kind of headboard will provide useful storage for reading materials and also collectibles and decorative items. You can easily incorporate this design into any platform bed style. It is also fun to choose a finish that best fits your bed frame.
These are the steps on how to attach a headboard to a platform bed frame. Make sure that you follow these simple steps for durable and secure installation. Do not hesitate to ask for help from a family member or friend on doing so. You may get creative as much as you want to satisfy your style and preference. Get more tips on headboards.