How To Build A Platform Bed: Easy DIY Hacks
Do you want to add some style to your bedroom? Then a platform bed may be a great addition to spice up your room. A platform bed does not make use of a box spring or a metal frame. It is made up of a wooden platform only and a mattress, sometimes with a headboard or drawers. Platform beds may range from simple to heavily decorated. Are you interested in making your own DIY platform bed frame? Here are some easy steps on how to build a platform bed that you will definitely enjoy.
Steps on How to Build a Platform Bed
These easy DIY steps on how to build a platform bed are perfect for beginners. Check them out.
1. Measure the mattress. The platform should be one inch wider and one inch longer than the mattress, so that when you put the mattress on the platform bed, there will be 1/2 inch of the platform on each side.
2. Deduct 12 inches (1 ft.) from the width and length of the mattress so you can get the measurements for the base of the platform. The base must be smaller than your platform to prevent you from hitting your toes on the base of the platform when you get into bed.
3. Gather the materials. Aside from the wood for your platform bed frame, you will need several tools, including supplies for painting or staining.
4. Form the base of the platform by using either 2x8 or 2x10 footboards. Take into account factors such as outlets, baseboard heaters, and thickness of your mattress when deciding how high to build your platform.
5. Cut the boards for the base to their exact size and arrange them in a rectangle. Depending on the size of the base, measure and cut 2 or 3 crosspieces to fit inside the rectangle. Arrange the crosspieces at even intervals.
6. Attach the base with the use of wood screws. In each board, drill pilot holes for the screws and apply a carpenter's glue to the ends of the board to help seal the joints. Use the carpenter's square to ensure that all boards meet at 90-degree angles.
7. Put short pieces of board in gaps between the cross pieces and screw them in place to stabilize the base. Stag the parts evenly.
8. Allow the glue to dry completely. Cover the screw heads using wood putty and paint or stain the surface of the base.
9. Assemble the platform the same way as the base. Remember that the length and width of the platform should be 12 inches wider than the base.
10. Place the platform on top of the base and make sure to center it carefully. Screw the platform to the base where the longboards of the platform meet the longboard of the base. Drill pilot holes to prevent the wood from splitting and use long deck screws.
11. Fit a medium density fiberboard sheet to the top of the platform. Apply carpenter's glue carefully to the edges of the boards. Accurately screw the sheet to the platform while making sure that the screws won't split the fiberboard.
12. Attach edging to the fiberboard sheet to cover the unfinished edges.
13. Give ample time for the glue to dry. Cover the screw heads using wood putty and paint the platform.
Some tips on How to Build a Platform Bed
Here are some tips that you should consider on how to build a platform bed.
- Make sure to get a mattress that is 6 inches longer than the length of the tallest person who will sleep on it. They may find themselves hanging off the small mattress whenever they change position when they sleep.
- When buying wood, ask for a finish-quality kind of wood that you will use for your platform bed. Softwood is more comfortable to work with and can be easily stained or painted after proper conditioning. Hardwoods may be more attractive but are too tough to cut and drill. If you're confident with your measurements, have your fiberboard sheet cut at the store or lumberyard.
- Build your platform bed in a room where it will be used. You may find it hard to fit your platform bed through doors if you build it in your garage.
- Don't assume that you know the dimensions of your mattress. Even standard sizes have some variations; if you build your platform with the wrong size, making changes will be difficult.
- One last thing to consider on how to build a platform bed is not to buy boards on the same day you plan on building your platform. Buy them two weeks early and store them indoors. Lean the boards on the wall, don't stack them. Place small pieces of wood in between so that air can circulate.
If you're out in the market looking for a new bed, hold it off and don't rush out to buy a new one. Try making a DIY platform bed. There are a lot of ideas and tips on how to build a platform bed. You need not be a builder or a carpenter to make them. It's easy to build, plus they come in various designs and sizes that should fit almost anything you might have. We hope that this article will help you with your little DIY project. Now it's time to spice up your bedroom.
August 19, 2020
By: Ammaarah Mason
Did you know that all standard bed frames are equipped to hold practically almost all kinds of headboards? The headboard of a bed frame is designed to have horizontally oblong slots or holes.
August 17, 2020
By: Desiree Morrison
When you decide to buy a platform bed, you may ask, “Do platform beds need box springs?” Box spring mattresses have been used for a long time since they are both extremely comfortable and durable.