How To Get Rid Of Old Broken Furniture: Disposing Tips
Furniture has a useful life. However, there will always come a time when you either need to refurbish your furniture or dispose of it. Furniture is not designed to be easily recycled, more often than not, and the processing is too expensive. However, there is furniture that can be recycled, especially items made from wood and metal. Here are some of the options on how to recycle or how to get rid of old broken furniture:
- Bring the broken furniture to recycling centers
- Donate to charities
- Make a garage sale
- Check if your new furniture delivery provider will haul the old one away
Challenges of Efficient Furniture Disposal
If you are wondering how to get rid of old broken furniture, whatever items you need to get rid of, removal and disposal is a tough job. Most of the time, you need to dismantle the furniture first to get it out of the house. You have to find a way to dismantle the furniture, especially the bigger ones, properly dispose of it.
Most communities do not allow furniture to be left on the curb. It is also impossible to dispose of the pieces of the furniture into the trash bin or recycling bin. If ever you prefer to dispose of your furniture through the municipal waste management company, you have to know first their schedule to be able to pick up your junk. However, choosing this will require you to do all the heavy lifting.
Another way of learning how to get rid of old broken furniture or other way disposal option would be to transport the old broken furniture to the local landfill. Most people are doing this process. This disposal method is not just costly, and it is not environment-friendly as well. Also, this process will require you to do the lifting, hauling, and disposal.
The best option to dispose of your old broken furniture is through recycling. You need to consider some things because you cannot just put the whole furniture into the truck and take it to the recycling center.
Almost all the recycling centers have restrictions on what they will take. Some materials need special handling, while others are easily recycled. Aluminum materials can become scrap, while wood furniture is readily taken for recycling. This option will require you to dismantle the furniture.
How to Get Rid of Old Large Furniture
If you already know how to get rid of old broken furniture, it is now time to learn how to get rid of large old furniture. Whether you are buying new furniture, moving to another house, or decluttering, disposing of large furniture and other appliances is difficult. Following tips will save you some time and hassle in getting rid of your bulk waste:
- Find a local scrap yard or waste management that will take large items. Although most of the time, they do not accept or receive the trash, sometimes you will get lucky and will get your trash. It is always better to negotiate than put your old worn-out furniture in the curb, which may cause an accident.
- If you are replacing your furniture, ask your furniture provider if they can take your old furniture. Before buying new furniture, be sure to ask or negotiate first with your supplier to make your old furniture upon delivery of your new one. Some providers accommodate this request; others already have this kind of service.
- List the item online. You may put the item online for free or for a small price. It is always better to put a low cost on it so that the people responding have a little ownership of the item.
- Donate the old broken furniture and have it picked up for free.
Now that you already know how to get rid of old broken furniture, you should always remember there are better ways to dispose of them. There can be many challenges during the process, but that should not limit us from disposing of old, broken furniture in the safest way possible. Leaving it at the curb would be the easiest way, but that is also the most unsafe.
Among the list of ways to dispose of furniture, I believe the best, easiest, and most responsible ways are the following:
- Sell the furniture
- Donate to a friend or charity
- Hire a junk removal company
- Take it to a recycling center
January 5, 2021
By: Ammaarah Mason
A DIY daybed is a perfect solution if you have some space issues in your home. A daybed is great because they can work both as a sleeping area and a couch.