A floating shelf is a shelf attached to a wall without visible means of support. If you are interested to learn how to hang a floating shelf without studs, there are lots of ways to hang your floating shelves using different types of materials. You can use brackets that are designed for floating shelves, making them invisible to the eye. You can also build your shelf that slides on to a wooden cleat.
How to Install Floating Shelves
Before you learn how to hang a floating shelf without studs, it’s essential to check on the base of the wall where you want to create hanging shelves because the wall’s material is the supportive base for your hanging shelves. If you are going to hang a shelf in a spot with no stud, check if your wall is made of drywall or plaster. If the nail goes through, you have drywall. Below are the material and directions in installing floating shelves.
Materials and Tools:
- Shelf – Is a flat horizontal plane.
- Brackets – A support for a weight that is usually attached to a wall.
- Wall anchors – Is used for hanging light to heavy objects.
- Screws – It is a sharp-pointed metal pin used to join things together.
- Screwdriver – Is a tool used for screwing and unscrewing screws.
- Handheld electric drill – This is a hand supported power-driven machine tool used for drilling.
- Tape measure – Is a flexible ruler used to measure size.
- Level tool – It is a device used to establish a horizontal plane.
- Measure and mark the spaces on the wall to where you want the shelf.
- Use the level to draw a line across the wall to ensure that the shelf will be straight.
- Use the handheld drill to drill the holes into the wall for the anchors.
- Insert the hollow anchors into the holes.
- Align your bracket with the anchor-filled pilot holes.
- Using a screwdriver, attach the bracket to the wall by screwing into the anchors.
- Then slide the shelf onto bracket.
Benefits of a Floating Shelf
One essential part of learning how to hang a floating shelf without studs is knowing the benefits of a floating shelf. Walls will look less crowded and loaded when you use floating shelves because they take up less space and leave more room to showcase the interior. The extra space around your floating shelves will make it look lighter to the eyes and create a more airy ambiance. Here are some benefits of floating shelves.
- Cleaner look
- Light and airy
- Unique and beautiful
- Less space required
- Easy to install
- You can install it anywhere in the house
- And even though they are only held up by brackets, they are strong and durable.
Disadvantages of Floating Shelf
A floating shelf is a trend in this generation, aside from it can help you in saving spaces, and it is not everyone’s cup of tea. Your shelf might look much busier for other people’s perspectives. It is unattractive if you have stuff on your shelves.
When you have a floating shelf, you tend to fill up the lower part of your shelf than the upper part. It causes a lack of extra storage when you keep on doing that. Doing so, it requires more maintenance. You have to make sure that each shelf is clean and free from any pest or insect, especially when no one is using it.
Safety Measures in Installing Floating Shelf
When you are learning how to hang a floating shelf without studs, you must learn the safety measures in doing the task. In construction or dealing with installation, you need extra caution, especially when using heavy tools or machines. Also, make sure to wear proper safety protection and gear. If you are unsure of completing a task by yourself and you think that safety is compromised, it is better to contact somebody for help. Find out more about floating shelves.
Now, you already know how to hang a floating shelf without studs! Floating shelves can make your room light and airy, and it can also save space in your room or any other parts of the house.
There are also different kinds of instructions on how to do floating shelves. It depends on your preference and needs. Just make sure to follow the steps carefully with a lot of caution, especially when dealing with the machines that are needed in installing floating shelves.