How To Make A Platform Bed Frame For Your Room
Platform beds have become popular because of their sleek design and sturdier support compared to traditional beds or panel beds. Speaking of sleek designs, you can have your platform bed with or without a headboard, have it seem floating and make it look anything you want. So you ask the question: "How to make a platform bed frame?" In this article, you will learn about platform beds, the many benefits, and a guide on how to make your platform bed.
Before we get to learn how to make a platform bed frame, let’s talk first about platform beds.
What is a platform bed? A platform bed is a type of bed that features a large, sturdy base designed to hold a mattress without any extra support of another mattress foundation, like a box spring. It comes with many designs and purposes, usually designed lower to the ground than the panel or regular bed types. Also, even though platform beds do not need a mattress foundation, you can opt to use one to raise the height of the bed.
Low Profile and No Clearance
Platform beds, as mentioned, are lower to the ground than traditional bed frames. The usual profile of the platform bed is less than 12 inches in height—some people, though, like their platform beds high around 18 inches above the floor. You might struggle to get in and out of bed, but remember, you can always place a mattress foundation to raise the height a bit.
This low profile can be problematic for those who are searching for clearance space under the bed. Most platform beds have none at all since most popular designs come with enclosed frames. You can ask your carpenter to include storage drawers under the sleeping surface, where you can place pajamas, towels, or even magazines.
Kinds of Support Surfaces
Platform beds have different kinds of surfaces that can surely help stabilize your mattress. Knowing these kinds of support surfaces will surely help you in how to make a platform bed frame. Here are the different support surfaces of platform beds:
This support surface is a wooden board meant to make your mattresses stay firm. It usually has holes or slits to provide airflow. This one is perfect for those with heavier body type.
This support surface comprises wooden slats placed 2 or 3 inches from each other to provide more airflow and give sturdier support. This one is the most common support surface of platform beds.
This support surface is not as good as the wooden ones because it can put pressure on the foam or mattress over time. This kind of surface will end up with you not having comfortable nights.
Benefits of Platform Bed
Platform beds have many benefits, but let us only learn the top five advantages of platform beds:
Platform beds are low to the ground, making them more stable and perfect frame option for shorter people.
Platform beds make mattresses firmer, providing more support for heavier people.
Platform beds have a sleek, clean, modern look. No more bed skirts to make the bed look fussy. It also gives the illusion that the room has a more heightened ceiling.
Platform beds can be customized to have a storage drawer built under, as mentioned—the perfect place to keep clothes, bedsheets, and pillowcases for the bed.
Platform beds are cheaper compared to traditional beds. What you save can be used to buy yourself a comfier and quality mattress.
DIY Platform Bed Frame
Now that you have learned the many benefits of having a platform bed, it is time to make your own. Here is the best guide on how to make a platform bed frame with a king-size bed measurement (81.5in L x 80in W).
Things You Need:
- Four 6-inch raw steel hairpin legs
- Seven 8ft 4x4 beams
- Twelve 8ft 2x4 beams
- Two 8ft select pine 1x2 beams
- One 3/4-inch pine plywood
- Four 8ft 1x4 beams
- Two 4-inch x 8-inch tempered hardboard panels (for the platform)
- A can of dark walnut Danish oil
- A Kreg jig K4
- 2.5 inches Kreg jig screws
- A doweling jig
- Wood glue
How to Make Your Platform Bed:
- Step 1: Look for three pairs of 4x4 beams.
- Step 2: Join these beams together through the planer. Use the dowel to line the beams, then glue them together.
- Step 3: Cut the beams according to the length.
- Step 4: Add the dowels where the beams meet and drill pocket holes on the underside. This step will ensure a firm hold of the whole bed when assembled.
- Step 5: With a table saw, create a slot for your 2x4 stretcher to lie in.
- Step 6: Start screwing the parts. Do the basic frame first, then add ten 2x4 slats, and cross two in the opposite direction for more support.
- Step 7: Attach the raw steel hairpin legs. You can paint it with whatever color you like, or you can maintain its natural, industrial look.
- Step 8: Do the headboard using the 3/4-inch pine plywood. Once done, screw them to the side beams. You can also add corners to the headboard.
- Step 9: You can add more base support with the remaining 4x4 beams for more stability and support.
- Step 10: Stain the whole bed with the dark walnut Danish oil and let it dry.
For more detailed instructions, you can check out this video: (Insert second video link).
Platform beds are an innovation for all homes, and now you know how to make a platform bed frame. It is quite a lot, but I am sure you can properly handle it. All that is left is to apply all these things you have learned to look for or make your platform bed. Always remember the many benefits of platform beds and share it with your friends! Find out more about platform beds.
April 3, 2021
By: Ammaarah Mason
Did you know that all standard bed frames are equipped to hold practically almost all kinds of headboards? The headboard of a bed frame is designed to have horizontally oblong slots or holes.
April 3, 2021
By: Desiree Morrison
Do you want to add some style to your bedroom? Then a platform bed may be a great addition to spice up your room. A platform bed does not make use of a box spring or a metal frame.
April 3, 2021
By: Desiree Morrison
When you decide to buy a platform bed, you may ask, “Do platform beds need box springs?” Box spring mattresses have been used for a long time since they are both extremely comfortable and durable.