If there is one place in your house that you want to look good, it is your bedroom. Your bed, in particular, is where you start and end your day. And when it comes to the best place to rest, it is your bed that you want to be perfect, with the headboard as an added piece of heaven. Getting an upholstered headboard may also be something that you want to consider, mainly if you are used to watching TV or reading books while in the bed. So, if you want it to be more comfortable, you must learn how to make an upholstered headboard, and give your bedroom that cozy look.
Do you Need an Upholstered Headboard?
Before you could decide about whether or not you will make an upholstered headboard, you should think if you really need one. Getting an upholstered headboard or pushing to learn how to make an upholstered headboard will depend on your sleeping routine. Do you sit on your bed at night before you sleep? Then you will need a nice comfortable headboard that will support your back.
Since the upholstered headboard is covered with fabric, it requires high maintenance. It can be a place where bacteria can multiply. It would be best if you had regular cleaning and vacuuming to make sure that dust would not stick to it. It is something that you need to think of, especially if you are allergic to dust or you have kids who are using the bed. So, if you are to make an upholstered headboard, you should carefully select the materials that you will be using. Materials like leather can be one of the good choices.
Making An Upholstered Headboard
When you are aiming to get your bed a nice headboard, you can start learning how to make an upholstered headboard.
What you need:
- 1 sheet 1/2 plywood
- 2 pcs 2X2 8 feet board
- 1 pc 2x6 8 feet board
- 22 pcs 1.5 inches wood screw or nails
- 2 yards, 54 inches cotton fabric (any color of your choice)
- 2 yards, 54 inches upholstery fabric
- 2 inches foam batting
- 3 pcs 3-inch clamps
- 2 pcs D-rings
- 2 pcs screws
- Electric drill
- Staple gun with staple wires
- Framing square
- Tape measure
- Drop cloth
- Wood glue
- Preparing the plywood based on the measurement you get from your bed, then cut the plywood using a saw.
- Lay the upholstery foam on the floor, then place the plywood over it. Trace the outline of the wood to the foam, then cut.
- Get the batting and due the same process as the foam but adding a few inches allowance so you can pull it over the plywood.
- Glue the foam to the plywood using the wood glue
- Flip the batting over the plywood with the foam already in it. Then staple.
- Affix the upholstery fabric to the headboard. Flip it with the fabric on the floor. Pull it tightly and clamp it to align, then staple it to the wood. Make sure to fold the fabric on the corners for a neat look, and once the entire headboard is covered, cut out the excess fabric.
- Now apply the nail. Line up the nail heads starting from the bottom all the way upwards. Tap the nail head with the mallet or hammer.
- Once everything is done, it is time to secure it on the wall by screwing the two D-rings to the back of the finished headboard. Then hang them to the wall with a hook.
A Few Tips on Maintaining your Upholstery Headboard
Now that you have learned how to make an upholstered headboard, it is time to learn about how to keep it clean. Since the headboard is inn fabric, it needs to stay clean and free from dust. When cleaning an upholstered headboard, you will need a vacuum cleaner, fabric cleaning spray, scented linen spray, baking soda, and dry cloth.
If your bed is being vacuumed every week, then your headboard has to have the same routine to prevent dust and dirt from becoming ingrained. After vacuuming, you can use a fabric cleaning spray to remove a stain. But before spraying the entire headboard, do some spot test first. This is to ensure the solvent will not cause discoloration.
The fabric of the headboard also needs a fresh scent. It may not be important, but it can make a huge difference. Use a scented linen spray. You can also apply baking soda to the fabric every month to keep it fresh. To do this, you can pour an adequate amount of baking soda to a clean cloth and pat it into the headboard. Baking soda is a good cleaning agent. It will soften dirt and make it easily dissolve in water. Also, it is a great deodorizer, making the fiber of your headboard smells fresh.
Buying ready-made headboards can be costly. So, it is a good idea to learn how to make an upholstered headboard. It will not only help you save a dollar, but it will also give you pride when you think that you constructed it on your own. So, if you want to have a nice, comfortable headboard, get those materials and start cutting! Find out more about DIY furniture.