How To Turn A Daybed Into A Couch
Having a daybed in your home or office can be cozy and classy. It makes any room a perfect set up for a comfortable day to read, nap, or hang out. Daybeds are like between a couch and a bed, but you can distinguish them by the way they are designed. Usually, daybeds are rectangular with a mattress and smaller than a regular bed. Designers nowadays, come up with ideas on how to turn a daybed into a couch while making various daybed designs.
Aside from designs variation, daybeds were made from different kinds of materials that are not only durable but also stylish, which adds to the exquisiteness of the furniture. Daybeds designs can vary from modern, contemporary, traditional, and classic concepts that would match any theme of your home. In this article, we will teach tips and tricks on how to turn a daybed into a couch to add a cozier feel in your living room.
Tips and Tricks on How to Turn a Daybed into a Couch
Here are the best tips on how to turn a daybed into a couch:
- Choose a color theme for your daybed. A neutral, solid base is a good start.
- Cover the mattress with the colored fitted sheets of your choice.
- Add large bed pillows for the back cushion.
- Add toss pillows with different colored sheets for contrast.
- Add faux fur pillow and toss rug for added texture.
- Add a large patterned pillow anchor to both sides.
- Add a bolster with a printed or colorful design.
- Add a soft blanket for comfort.
Fun Facts About Daybeds
- The seat depth of an average sofa is 18″ to 22″ while the depth of a daybed at 39″ is close to double the depth of a standard sofa. For that reason, you will need pillows to cush the back of the daybed and reduce the daybed seat depth to that of a comfortable seat. Pillows will act as the back of the couch. Also, some daybeds don’t need to be up against a wall like most standard daybeds. So, the number of pillows you want to put depends on the type and size of the daybed.
- It is an excellent choice for any guest room that serves as a study, or as extra sleeping space in a bedroom. When not occupied by guests, a daybed can serve as a couch or love seat, giving the occupant, their family and friends someplace lounge other than the bed. High rails or panels on three sides offer a cozier enclosure than an open bed, so daybeds also help toddlers to transition from crib to bed. Wicker or rattan daybeds provide comfortable seating on your patio or porch while offering you the opportunity to enjoy an occasional alfresco nap.
- For some history trivia, daybeds have been around since Egyptian times. The Greeks and Romans also enjoyed them as reclining during social activities were favored by both cultures. In Europe, daybeds were favored because it can offer comfortable and relaxing seating while remaining socially appropriate. In China, daybeds started as small platforms designed to elevate honored guests above the traditional floor mats then became seating in Chinese and Japanese homes. Eventually, Chinese daybeds became so ornate that they resembled small, freestanding rooms.
- In general, the medical professional has a history of adapting the concept of a daybed into a comfortable place for patients to help them recuperate. Early versions were often referred to as cure chairs—the cure chair as an alternative to the traditional flatbed. Confining a patient with a pulmonary disease like tuberculosis to a flatbed was rightly considered as a detriment to their recovery.
- Parents will probably prefer the daybed to a regular twin bed for teenagers who have friends over for afternoon studying. No parent is thrilled to see her daughter stretched out on a bed with a young man while studying. The daybed gives an alternative touch of formal setting and helps keep them concentrate more on studying.
- The cost of an apartment can be too expensive for the young professional moving to work in the city. It is common for young professionals to rent a loft apartment. As a professional, it is inappropriate to invite new friends over to visit and lounge in a bedroom. So, a daybed can easily pass as a couch with the perfect covering and bedding.
There are numerous advantages to having a daybed. With the easy steps on how to turn a daybed into a couch, you need to be a little creative so that you can enjoy lounging with your daybeds with your family. As finishing touches, you can place a side table and reading lamp at one end and a potted plant or magazine holder. Hang art on the wall above and lay a fluffy rug at its feet.
January 7, 2021
By: Eileen Tomlinson
Leather furniture has always been a long-time favorite. It comes in a variety of color, finish, and silhouette that gives off elegance, class, and style.
January 4, 2021
By: Sara Dale
Leather sectional sofas are one of the most functional pieces of upholstered furniture for any living room types – ranging from single chair pieces to sleeper sofa units.
January 4, 2021
By: Areeba Jarvis
The market is now overwhelmed with various options for lift chairs; however, not all can address your needs. You must know the purpose and the people who will be using the lift chair.